Be Safe and Always Call Before You Dig ... Dial 811
- Submitting a locate request to have underground utility lines marked is a Free Service to anyone doing large or small digging projects.
- SC811 does not physically mark the underground utility lines, but notifies the member facility operators and they are responsible for having the lines located.
- Facility Operators only mark the lines they install and maintain, which does not include privately owned lines.
- For a normal notice, the locate request must be entered into our system three (3) full business days, (not including the day the notice was submitted, weekends, or holidays), before digging may begin.
- Formed by member facility operators in 1978, Palmetto Utility Protection Service (doing business as South Carolina 811) currently operates under the Underground Facility Damage Prevention Act to protect buried facilities and keep excavators and the general public safe.
- You can reach South Carolina 811 by dialing 811 within SC or calling our toll-free number 888-721-7877 anywhere within the US.
- You can also submit a locate request online . We are available to take your locate requests Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, excluding holidays. We are open 24/7 for emergencies.
- Safe Digging Is Everyone's Responsibility. Notifying SC811 of your planned excavation can help prevent damages that can result in fines, utility service interruption, and physical injury – even death.